Re: new version of the proposed emacs icons

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new version of the proposed emacs icons
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 09:41:27 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>   >     A number of people were questioning why are we changing icons.
>   >
>   > I do not insist that we change.  And if we change, I do not insist
>   > we pick one of these two.
>
> OK, so let's find a way to move forward with this.
>
> One of the most sensible comments that was made about the icons was that
> we had a different icon for each major version.  We can use the proposed
> icon for emacs-23.
>
> Given that we don't really have an overabundance of artists willing to
> work on things like this, and that the proposed icons look really good,
> let's check in version 1 (it leads by one vote).

Which shows that both are bad compromises and the good solution would be
in the middle, as mentioned several times.

> We have to show some goodwill here.  There's enough time to refine the
> icon until 23.1 is released.
>
> Does this sound like a sensible plan?

If it is really impossible to give the artist the constructive feedback
about the comments voiced here, I don't see how the "goodwill" is going
to reach him either.  Have you at least _tried_ directing some of the
comments back to him or letting him read this thread?  Or is he to be
kept in the dark and we should just pick from whatever he delivers
without giving feedback?  Do you really think that this is an effective
manner of working?