Re: font-backend

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: font-backend
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:12:59 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Thanks, but I also asked about disadvantages.  TANSTAAFL, and I
believe this case is no exception.

It has had about 15 years less testing.
It is noticably slower on Windows (not sure about other platforms)
There is no BDF font support on Windows (yet - it will be a cleaner implementation though, with a separate backend)

I dunno if any of that applies to Eli, if he uses windows.

Why would this be any different on Windows?

The antialiasing advantage does not apply to Windows, since antialiasing does not depend on the APIs used for drawing text.