Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:48:31 -0500

DaRCS, Git, Bazaar, Monotone, Mercurial, Svn, and a bunch of others all
have something going for them.  Even CVS has a lot of things going for it.

I don't think Svn is a good option a this stage.
As much as I like Haskell and as much as I like some of the ideas in
DaRCS, I do not think it's a good choice right now because of some
serious scalability problems that can show up in corner cases.

Of the remaining 4 I think they'd all fit the bill just fine, each with
its own strengths and weaknesses.  So the choice among those 4 is mostly
arbitrary.

Making the choice based on ideological reasons makes a lot of sense in
a context where the difference between Open Source and Free Software is
stark yet purely ideological.

        Stefan