[OT] Mail-Followup-To, Outlook (was: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]"

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [OT] Mail-Followup-To, Outlook (was: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:45:48 +0100

[ We should probably take this off-list? ]

On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Drew Adams wrote:

>> Your mailer does not respect the Mail-Followup-To header
[...]
> IOW, before jumping to conclusions about causes, what is the symptom
> that is bothering you?

The Mail-Followup-To header suggest to whom replies should be
directed.  Then doing a wide reply to Dan's article (with has
following explanation:

,----[ *MESSAGE information message* ]
| You should normally obey the Mail-Followup-To: header.  In this
| article, it has the value of
|
| address@hidden
|
| which directs your response to that address only.
|
| Most commonly, Mail-Followup-To is used by a mailing list poster to
| express that responses should be sent to just the list, and not the
| poster as well.
|
| If a message is posted to several mailing lists, Mail-Followup-To may
| also be used to direct the following discussion to one list only,
| because discussions that are spread over several lists tend to be
| fragmented and very difficult to follow.
|
| Also, some source/announcement lists are not intended for discussion;
`----

See also <http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html> and
<http://cr.yp.to/immhf/response.html>.  The former URL lists the
following programs as using Mail-Followup-To: qmail, Mutt, nmh,
Shuriken, Gnus, and Kmail.

As it is not a standard and not very widely used, I don't complain
about anyone _not_ respecting it.  Dan's MMV.

> Unless someone can characterize the problem more concretely
> and cite an Outlook preference setting that takes care of
> it, I guess you'll have to take up the problem with Devil
> Gates. Tell him that his mail client is misbehaving.

Wrong.  Probably nobody is forced to use this software when
participating on this mailing list.  More disturbing about your
Outlook 11 is the "Kammquoting"[1].  Well,
`gnus-article-outlook-deuglify-article' in Gnus can fix often fix
it. [2]

Bye, Reiner.

[1] zig-zag-shaped lines that it's hard to read.  See the box on the
    RHS of http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammquoting or the commentary
    section of `lisp/gnus/deuglify.el'

    In articles <address@hidden> and
    <address@hidden> (the article I'm