Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: David Cournapeau
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:34:59 +0900

Xavier Maillard wrote:
What's more, it takes really long time to perform things even
with a pretty new bazaar repository. I have switched a few
projects just to take measure and no matter how big is the
history, all operations are rather expensive in time compared to
any other DVC I am using.

That's strange. Are you comparing to mercurial or git ? Which version of bzr were you using (bzr --version) ?

As my python skills are rather small, I can't contribute much
to help "profiling" the code.

I think giving the name of the projects (if they are open source) and the commands you were using would be enough to see an eventual problem. I don't have experience for large projects with long history (the biggest project I use bzr with is ~ 2000 files with ~ 4000 revisions), but I compared those with mercurial a few months ago, and they were comparable in speed for branch/st/ci/diff commands (log and blame were much slower, but again, if there is no history, I don't think that's what you are talking about).

cheers,

David