Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:17:20 +0200

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Yes, * forms a subset of variables that the user can set in .emacs,
>  but it guarantees that this subset doesn't contain a variable
>  not intended for modification by the user.

I think having describe-variable say "You can set this variable in
your initialization file" only for a subset of such variables is
sending the wrong message to the user. It would be better not to say
anything for such variables, and add "You must not set this variable
in your initialization file" (or a better, equivalent message) for the
variables where doing so is wrong.

 Juanma