Re: Feature Request : autoload-form

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Feature Request : autoload-form
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:24:45 -0400

      - I got rid of the monolithic .emacs, so that bits of configuration
    go into dedicated "modules". There is a module for C-mode, one for
    Muse-mode etc. One module resides in one file. Modules are shared in
    your network of friends/colleagues ... anybody syncing with you, so
    they are "network-specific" but not "user-specific".

I think I understand what these do.  I'm not completely sure why you
want them, though.  What job do these do, which you couldn't do by
installing some Lisp libraries in the usual way?

      - To allow fine-tuning, a user can use "module configuration file",
    which is an other file, with personal tweaking in it. Those conf files
    are not shared and are usually optional. They are user specific, and
    private. Exemple : the ERC module does a lot of configuration, but it
    can not set up username, password etc because this information is
    user-specific.

Why not put this stuff directly in .emacs?

    I could put, at beginning of *every* modules, a (load-file
    "thisModuleConfigurationFile" t).

I don't see why you want to do that, rather than putting the
"module configuration" expressions directly in .emacs.
What do you gain?

     This is what I did before, but I do
    not find that elegant, nor fully satisfactory in many ways for the
    needs, so it now is to the TidyConfig system to carry proper loading
    of modules.

I am confused.  Are you talking about making a module load its module
configuration expressions, or are you talking about how to load the
module itself when it is needed?  Those are two different issues, right?
Some of your words seem to imply one, and some seem to imply the other.

    Here we are. I currently have no option to do so, except putting the
    form I want to eval in a dummy file and registering this file with
    autoload.

I have lost you completely here.