Re: Tab bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:36:13 -0400

    I think a good implementation for a tabbar would be to use a whole
    window (and buffer) for the tabbar (set mode-line-format to nil and
    window-min-height to 1 or 2).  This would allow placing it anywhere in
    the window tree, and hence all both "one per frame" and "one per
    window".  Of course, to make it work well, we probably need some changes
    at the C level in order to treat those windows specially,

Once we make changes at the C level, there should be no need for the
overhead of a separate window for the tabs.  It would be easiest and
most convenient to generate the tabs directly from an alist.

If each normal window has a tool bar, it would be a pain in the neck
to have to make a second window (for the tool bar) for each normal window.