Re: Tab bar

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:50:32 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
It makes sense.  My only doubt is whether we could find room
in the keys and buttons for these two options.

Users who want to use tabs will probably use them instead of frames (in my experience, there is little overlap between users who want everything in one frame with tabs to select between them, and users who want a separate frame for everything), so sharing keybindings with C-x 5 may be an acceptable solution if we cannot find free keys. Something like: if the current window or its containing frame is already tabbed, or if the user or mode has expressed a preference for a tabbed UI, then C-x 5 C-f creates a new tab, and C-u C-x 5 C-f creates a new frame. Otherwise the behaviour of C-x 5 bindings are reversed.