Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:47:05 +0200

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
The answer is of course that the arrow keys without shift does deactivate the region.

No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region with

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Mon, 2008 Apr 21  09:59 UTC
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.18 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
started with

     emacs -Q -D

and configured with

       --disable-font-backend --with-x --with-type1 --with-x-toolkit=gtk

I think that depends on how you activate the region from the beginning (and I think it is good). This is how it works for me:

1) If the region is activated with C-SPC then unshifted arrow keys does not deactivate the region. Is not this in accordance with what Emacs long time users might expect today?

2) If the region was activated with a shifted arrow key then unshifted arrow keys deactivates the region. I think this is what users accustomed to other applications expects.

---
I think Jason's suggestion for delete-selection-mode fits very well with the above. I believe it is easy to remember:

"I think delete-selection-mode (and maybe even transient-mark-mode) should be enabled only when the region was marked using shift movement keys. Setting the mark with C-SPC, moving the cursor and typing a self-insert character should definitely not delete the region by default, even if the region is active and highlighted."