Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:20:08 +0000 (UTC)

   > No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region ...

   I think that depends on how you activate the region ...

   2) If the region was activated with a shifted arrow key then unshifted
   arrow keys deactivates the region. I think this is what users accustomed
   to other applications expects.

No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region; they
deactivate the HIGHLIGHTING for the region.  I am not only able to
call `exchange-point-and-mark' (which I invoke with `C-x C-x'), which
tells me the region continues to exist, but the highlighting
reappears.

    To reproduce this, call

        emacs -Q -D

    and expect point to appear in the *scratch* buffer two lines below
    the default text.  Set the mark by calling `set-mark-command'
    (which I invoke with `C-SPC').

    Move point back three line with `previous-line' (which I invoke by
    pressing `C-p' three times); you will see the region marked with
    highlighting.

    Then mark the line on which point is with `move-end-of-line' with
    a shift key prefix (which I invoke by pressing Shift-Control-e,
    S-C-e).

    Two lines of highlighting disappear.  You are only able to
    exchange point and mark on the line although you can pop to the
    previous mark by prefixing `set-mark-command' with a
    `universal-argument' (which I invoke with `C-u C-SPC').

    The highlighting stays vanished when you call `set-mark-command'
    with a `universal-argument' but reappears when you call
    `exchange-point-and-mark'.

    To get rid of the initial highlighting,

        emacs -Q -D --eval="(transient-mark-mode -1)"

    but presumably no one wants experienced Emacs contributors to
    evaluate `transient-mark-mode' on the command line since we are
    asked to provide examples with `emacs -q' or equivalent.  (For
    emacs-devel, I think it is both smart and good to call Emacs
    without evaluating any expressions by --eval or in a .emacs file.)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Tue, 2008 Apr 22  10:19 UTC
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
started with

    emacs -Q -D

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden