Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:57:28 +0000

Hi, Thomas!

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:59:43PM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >Here's a possible idea: enable delete-selection-mode by default but
> >only after shift-selection and mouse-selection.

> A useful "quasi-quantization" to consider is how many bits of state a
> user must keep in mind to accurately predict the dynamically variable
> behavior of self-insert-command.  (One is probably pushing it and I
> gather that emacs is going well into N>1 territory.   Bummer.)

I think this is the most important point in this discussion (and many
others).  An essential feature of Emacs is that N = 0, or at least has
been until recently.  That is what distinguishes it from both vi and
typical lesser editors, and IMAO is a critical part of what makes Emacs
such a joy to use.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).