Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:40:14 +0200

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
A useful "quasi-quantization" to consider is how many bits of state a
user must keep in mind to accurately predict the dynamically variable
behavior of self-insert-command.  (One is probably pushing it and I
gather that emacs is going well into N>1 territory.   Bummer.)

I think this is the most important point in this discussion (and many
others).  An essential feature of Emacs is that N = 0, or at least has
been until recently.  That is what distinguishes it from both vi and
typical lesser editors, and IMAO is a critical part of what makes Emacs
such a joy to use.

Hi Alan and Thomas,

In a sense I agree, but for that I have to stretch my definition of 0 quite a bit ... ;-)

Beeing more serious I think that the base mix of states should be as stable as possible. However that should be true both for new and old users.

As we have seen from the discussion even long time users may have great trouble accomodating to changes in the base state. For some period (short or long) the new and old base state must be available in memory and I guess this can interfere with other psychic activity.

I believe that for new users it is even worse. They tend to use other applications beside Emacs and that means that the new and old base state comes from different applications and must be kept available in memory for as long time that the user uses both Emacs and other applications (or have changed Emacs to use cua-mode and maybe some other things).

I am not sure how important the burden of the state is, but I guess that some of the upset feeling might come from this burden. Some surely come from other psychic domains. BTW, do you know that stressed animals tend to seek the familiar surroundings even if the stress factor is there? Perhaps this can be translated to that stress is something that can block creativity in certain circumstances.