Re: Next release

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:16:15 +0300

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>         Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 18:35:38 +0900
>
> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> > Another problem with it is that it would appear that nothing is
> > happening as Emacs is starting.
>
> Is that really such a problem though?

It would be for me: my .emacs processing tends to be very long, due to
large sessions loaded by desktop.

> Other apps seem to do that quite often.

Which is an annoying misfeature, IMO.  And most (all?) apps that do
this tend to load very quickly, since they don't need to load anything
as large as my desktop.

> Anyway, a specialized "Starting Emacs..." splash screen could use a simple
> hard-wired image and skip all the grot associated with emacs image

That could be a good solution, I think.  We could even simply show a
simple text-only frame with an echo area showing the various messages,
to avoid the impression that nothing happens.