Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 09:51:48 -0400

>> It would be worthwhile to start mapping Emacs usually only after .emacs
>> has been processed and/or the command line processed.  That way you can
>> select fonts, geometry, toolbar or not and so on in .emacs and have
>> emacs start right away without resizing or flicker.

> I would _love_ it if Emacs did this, but IIRC, Gerd tried that, and
> got shot down because it was incompatible with wacky code in people's
> .emacs files.

My local changes include such a hack, which causes Emacs to start in
"batch-like" mode and only open the tty or X11 frame after loading the
.emacs.

I like it, but I'm not sure it's a good idea in general.
The suggestion to have a splash-like screen while loading the .emacs
might be a good idea and could be very simple: just change the startup
such that the frame created before reading the .emacs contains no
tool-bar, no menu, and may be of a smaller fixed size.

        Stefan