Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:12 +0100

dhruva wrote:

Well, I was not aware of that function. Looking a little deeper into
it, it does not traverse above the current user $HOME (~/ or %HOME%).
This code needs to go all the way till the top. Since it does a
username comparison, it apprears a bit more expensive (based on gut
feel though).

my HOME is set to: c:/users/dhruva
My lisp expresssion: (locate-dominating-file
"c:/users/dhruva/stub/git/emacs/" ".dir-settings.el")
1. I place the .dir-settings.el under "C:/" and I get a nil
2. I move the file under HOME (c:/users/dhruva/.dir-settings.el) and get it.
=> It does not traverse beyond the HOME directory.

If you run (locate-dominating-file "c:/some/other/path" ".dir-settings.el"), does it go all the way to the top, or does it not search at all?

I think it is OK to stop at ~/ when inside the users home directory, as that will be what most users want.