Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 01:44:10 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
Who's to say whose gut feeling is accurate?

I am to say my gut feeling is accurate, you are to say your gut feeling is accurate ;-)

Whoever polls Emacs users could do so - that could help.

In a question like this I do not think it will help that much. We will simply not reach those potential new users that we really would like to reach.

To alter those keys you have to use a low level keyboard hook. Such beasts are app specific and where invented as a reaction to the critics raised against earlier mechanisms for keyboard control
on w32. (At least that was how I understands it.)

I have no idea what you're talking about. This is about _documenting_
`w32-register-hot-key'. Please don't turn it into something else. Whatever you
mean by "special" and "alter those keys", it doesn't seem to be about
documenting `w32-register-hot-key'.

I tried to say that the documentation of w32-register-hot-key should take the technical things I referred to into account in some way.

No one is proposing changing the behavior of
Windows outside Emacs.

It is not that simple to divide those things. If you change Alt-Tab in Emacs would you not in a way change Windows too then?

What does not work consistently, without what low-level keyboard hook?

Alt-tab and the windows keys may in some circumstances still be sent to Windows without the low-level keyboard hook. (MS has not documented when this happen. It is just that the recommended way is to use a low level keyboard hook.)