Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:48:59 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
Whoever polls Emacs users could do so - that could help.
In a question like this I do not think it will help that much. We will simply not reach those potential new users
that we really would like to reach.

If you can't reach them, then don't worry about them. If no one can justifiably
speak for them, and no one can measure them, then we must ignore them. No sense
polling or speaking for the supernatural.

If you want reliable results you can't ignore them.

I tried to say that the documentation of w32-register-hot-key should take the technical things I referred to into account in some way.

I don't know what those "technical things" are or why the Emacs doc should take
them into account. Why make this so complicated? It's just about letting users
choose Windows ALT-TAB within Emacs or Emacs M-TAB within Emacs.

I am trying to say that there might be technical limitations (but I am unsure which these are).

So are you saying that w32-register-hot-key does not work in some cases? Can you
give an example?

It is rather complicated I believe. When you do things that you are not supposed to do the window manager/OS might get upset.

When I registered Alt-Tab I could see things happening with the menus that I never seen before. One of the menus in Emacs where jumping a bit upwards and it became bold. Like if it had recieved most of the Alt key but not all.

(MS has not documented when this happen. It is just that the
recommended way is to use a low level keyboard hook.)

Recommended way to do what? To have Emacs recognize ALT-TAB as M-TAB? Why care
what MS recommends about that?

To get things working.