Re: visual-line-mode

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:28:03 -0400

On 5 Jul 2008, at 19:41, Chong Yidong wrote:

Good, I've checked it in (together with a couple other minor fixes).

Can you post a patch for these minor fixes?
I'm running this on 22 (because the trunk does not run on my system).

At least in the previous version, there's also a problem with posn-x- y, which returns a position too far when given coordinates that are to the right of a word-wrapped line (i.e. in the blank space). This can also be seen if you just click into that space (mouse-set-point).

I can post a detailed recipe after I've made sure I've got the up-to- date patch. My new code isn't iterative. It's faster and shouldn't lead to excessive garbage collections as before.

One thing that's not clear to me is whether your minor mode correctly
handles invisible/intangible text and point motion hooks.  One of the
reasons line-move-1 and line-move-finish is so complicated is,
unfortunately, the need to DTRT for these.  I don't see anything
analogous in your code; am I missing something?

OK, I'll bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' except for the last movement command.

Regarding invisible text, the original code went a long way to handle this efficiently. With the new method (I'll post some code soon), this is handled elegantly and without any hassle thanks to posn-x-y. Regarding intangible text, this works fine with my working version. I'm not sure about "fields", perhaps because I don't know much about their implementation. Can you point me to a test case? Customize buffers perhaps?

Thanks for pointing out these issues.