Re: CVS HEAD still broken for OSX

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD still broken for OSX
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:32:27 +0000 (UTC)

Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn <at> stonehenge.com> writes:

> Adrian> Could you try either with no --prefix or
> Adrian> adding --disable-ns-self-contained
> Adrian> to the configure invocation?
>
> Randal> Will do.
>
> No, same response, still installs (or tries to) into the wrong dir:
>
>    Copying etc/DOC-23.0.60.2 to /Users/merlyn/MIRROR/emacs-
CVS/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc

> That's the wrong path for the self-contained app.  So leaving out --prefix
> didn't matter.  This path is wrong when I do "make all install".

OK, I'd say the path is correct but the directory is not being made because
the "install" target is for some reason deciding it doesn't need to be.
(The entire subtree under Resources gets rearranged by NS's install-arch-dep,
but the subsequent "install" somehow doesn't see this.)

For now, you can use my approach to update-installs which is:

#!/bin/sh
cd lisp
make -j3
cd ..
rm -f etc/DOC-* src/emacs-*
make -j3

This suppresses the strange, linux-kernel-like versioning added to
DOC and emacs by resetting it.  (Who here is making use of the
historic copies and for what?)  DOC in the app package might not
actually get updated though, so a better solution should be implemented.

I guess the make-lisp step could be added to the remake script..