Re: vc-git-show-log-entry

From: Alexandre Julliard
Subject: Re: vc-git-show-log-entry
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:52:05 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl Chen <address@hidden> writes:
>   > As I said, if you undo the latest commit to vc-git.el, that fixes
>   > it, but I suggest this replacement altogether.
>   >
>   >     (defun vc-git-show-log-entry (rev)
>   >       (log-view-goto-rev (vc-git-rev-parse rev)))
>
> Not sure if adding yet another git invocation here is a good idea.
> Please run your change by Alexandre Julliard.

It's definitely a good idea. There's just no way to reliably convert a
symbolic revision name to a number of commits to skip, the current
vc-git-show-log-entry implementation is clearly broken. The only sane
way is to use git rev-parse and then look for the sha1.

--
Alexandre Julliard
address@hidden