space, M-x

From: Gilaras Drakeson
Subject: space, M-x
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:49:36 -0500

Hi,

[Since it is hard to know whether a feature has already been implemented
in Emacs, I post this suggestion at the risk of being redundant.]

I am a proponent of tab-completion and history, whenever the user enters
a non-trivial command.  In order to improve the `M-x' behaviour, Emacs
can use whitespace as delimeter. For example:

 M-x set-fill-column M-space 80 RET

should translate to (set-fill-column 80).  Since this is a command, not
merely a function, we can also use the arguments to `interactive' as a
way to do completion for the arguments of the command. For example:

 M-x make-directory M-space ~/<TAB>

could complete directory or file names in a pop-up window.

Obviously there are implementation issues. For instance how to handle
`forms' as argument to `interactive', as that is much harder than
handling something like (interactive "f"). But I think this worth
trying. What do you think?

Gilaras