Re: redisplay - very long lines

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: redisplay - very long lines
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:50:42 -0500

On 17 Feb 2009, at 23:09, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
As for displaying the actual line (wrapped): can you give an example
how the previous visual lines of a line are affected something that
could come afterwards?

I thought I did: what if there's an inline image there? the next line
would then have to be pushed downwards to where the image's display
ends.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

I think you are. I was thinking about the truncate-lines==nil or word- wrap==t case. Maybe I didn't

The next visual line would have to be pushed downward, but I don't see how it would affect the visual lines resulting from the current buffer line. Also, the next visual line isn't visible anyways because it is beyond the last displayed line. We're proposing to stop processing a buffer line when we have left the portion of the buffer that is currently visible in the window.

(The truncate-lines==t case is something else of course.)