Re: request: make-frame-visible hook

From: Lynbech Christian
Subject: Re: request: make-frame-visible hook
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:59:59 +0100

RMS> The window manager I use (a common one) offers 4 desktops in
RMS> parallel, but I don't think switching between them has any effect
RMS> on Emacs frame visibility, because the frames on other desktops are
RMS> nonetheless visible.

That depends, I guess, a bit on how the window manager has implemented the
parallel desktops. One trick under X11 is to actually unmap and map windows
as you change from desktop to desktop. At least that is how the Eclipse
window manager does it (although that admittedly is not a common WM, even
if written in Common Lisp :-)

This way of doing things will generate a slew of (Un)MapNotify X11 events
which could be noticed by emacs.

Whether or not visibility tracking could be construed as useful, the
problem still stands that there are multiple applications that wants to
install stuff into special-event-map so perhaps a more generic solution
should be sought such that multiple handlers can be present or registered
for any event in that map?

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)