Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NS: ns-expand-space / slider in Preferences dialog not functional
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:19:43 -0400

> But now that the situation is what it is I stand by what I say above: it
> doesn't interfere with anything in core emacs (as it is / should be
> additive with line-spacing), users benefit from it, and others can use it
> to try and see whether it's something that would be worth having on X and
> W32.  There's no benefit to removing it.

This would encourage the use of MacOSX to try the feature.  As long as
MacOSX is not Free Software, this goes against our goals.  Also I think
it's pretty clear that the `line-spacing' feature can be expanded to
cover the featureset of `ns-expand-space' and that it would be good
since it would remove a redundant setting, and bring that feature to
all architectures.

So we should remove ns-expand-space right now.  If we can come up with
a clean enough patch to extend line-spacing's semantics, we might be
able to consider it for inclusion in Emacs-23.1, otherwise it'll have to
wait for Emacs-23.2.

        Stefan