Re: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:50:35 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>> > It's a joke, right?  Emacs adding DWIM now means that if
>> > you want the simple, straightforward behavior of old you
>> > need to write it yourself?
>>
>> If almost nobody actually does, then that's not a problem, right?
>
> That's sorry logic. The fact (unproven, BTW) that few people will
> actually go to that trouble is no proof that almost nobody would
> appreciate such a result.

No, what I meant was, "if almost nobody wants the ... behavior of old,
then [the non-trivial burden of recreating it] is not a problem, right?"

[As Stefan pointed out , the old behavior was really no simpler, so
using a term like "simple, straightforward behavior" to describe it, is
just rhetoric.]

Granted those people who actually notice the difference may have become
accustomed to the old behavior, however arbitrary, and may desire it for
that reason.

-Miles

--
Cannon, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.