Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 19:40:08 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:

This is like saying that we should change the behavior of `C-x C-f' so that it
asks for confirmation, because if you don't release the Control key fast enough
you get `C-x f', which sets the fill column. Or similarly, for `C-x C-b' or `C-x
C-c' or `C-x C-d' or ... There are tons of key combinations that exhibit the
same "problem".

I disagree with all of the above "solutions". The problem is not the behavior of
`find-alternate-file' or its binding to `C-x C-v'. If there really is a problem,
it is the too-similar binding of `C-x v d'.

As a relatively new user of Emacs (about five years), I have *NEVER* used find-alternate-file, and after reading its description, the keystroke savings seems so minor that I can not imagine ever wanting to. Is C-x C-v really so much better than C-x k <RET> C-x C-f?

There's already a mechanism in Emacs to disable old, clunky commands than most people don't use and can be harmful, (put SYMBOL 'disabled t). Why not just disable this command?

  -- MJF