Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:11:10 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

> Please, lets drop this discussion.  Richard volunteered to maintain
> mail-mode, so do I, and Eli I suspect will be more than happy to do it
> as well.

Reading this discussion is quite interesting. I have to ask why you are
so keen to duplicate efforts when it seems relatively clear that
message-mode is a non intrusive superset of mail-mode. Getting more
familiar with emacs I have to say that its frequently an issue for new
adopters as well as seasoned users that there are too many versions of
effectively the same thing leading to duplicated efforts as well as
confusion in both code usage and documentation. In addition, quoting properly
might add more force to your argument. Miles has asked multiple times
for something that mail-mode provides that message mode does not, he has
pointed out how there is no real learning curve. I would be very
interested, from the developer point of view, to know why you seem to be
so dead set against retiring what is effectively a sub-set of a more
commonly used and better maintained mode like message-mode. Especially
in the context of adding things to mail-mode which are blatantly
unproven in this thread.

Excuse me my 3 seconds, but, well, the arguments for maintaining
mail-mode seem, to me who has no agenda, nothing more than "because I
say so".