Re: Sending attachments

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:29:25 -0400

>     > message.el forces the loading of many other packages (I sent the list
>     > before).  So its effective complexity includes all of them.  It is
>     > tied in with Gnus, and can't be maintained on its own.
>
>     Message mode is actively maintained by the Gnus maintainers, so this
>     point is irrelevant.
>
> It is not a good thing that message mode can only be maintained by the
> Gnus maintainers.

Proper maintenance requires a familiarity with the relevant RFCs; the
Gnus maintainers have this expertise, and we should leverage this to the
greatest extent possible.

Thus, even if we keep mail-mode, due to vested interests, I am opposed
to adding a "simple" (and possibly standards-noncompliant) mime library.
We should instead make use of mml.el, because the Gnus maintainers have
already expended effort making it standards-compliant.