Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:39:53 -0400

    There are many examples in emacs-devel:

    /var/spool/news/gmane/emacs/devel# grep
'^Content-Disposition:.*inline.*filename' *|wc -l
    40

If I search my incoming mail over a long enough period,
I suppose I would see them.

    "disposition" is more or less a recommendation for the receiving agent
    how to display it.

    > Both rmailmm and Etach display some text parts inline, and they
    > don't need to see disposition=inline to do it.

    Neither does Gnus (and probably MH-E, too).  Viewing inline
    vs. attachment can be toggled interactively or specified through
    `mm-inline-override-types'.

In theory, that kind of recommendation might be useful.
But in practice, since the readers decide heuristically
whether to display inline, users mostly have no reason
to go out of their way to offer a recommendation.
It is better normally not to ask.