Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:00:29 -0700

Re the "tear off" confusion:

I think I probably started the confusion by
bringing up tear-offs in the first place.
Sorry.   My only point is that the addition
of a (probably or at least initially non-nesting)
"parent-frame" slot to frames would give a natural
model for both control panels around the side of a
window and for tear offs.

If a window system window was really 5 frames,
configurable in the ways I diagramed....  if there
were "tear off frames" from tool bars....  if
Emacs had a unified model for toolbars and menus ...
THEN I think it would be straightforward to have
Emacs extension packages that look and feel a lot
like OpenOffice Writer and Eclipse.

When (if?) Emacs pixmap buffers become richer in
functionality it could also compete against
programs like Gimp.

If (when?) Emacs had a display mode for
"SVG buffers", it could compete against drawing
programs, presentation manager programs, etc.

It would be kinda neat, from my perspective,
in that with those features - 20 years worth
of GUI toolkit designers repeating the mistakes of
their predecessors could be flushed away.
The church of Emacs would be vindicated (as
if it needs it) :-)

I also think it's pretty "doable".  The 1 system
window == 5 frames thing just can't possibly be
*that* hard.   The generalization of menu bars
into toolbars and hierarchical command menus
isn't huge and fits in nicely among existing
abstractions / facilities.   Improved pixmap
support (e.g., "one buffer per layer" with virtual
buffers overlaying them) is a huge job but one
small step at a time can get it done.  And,
sure, the notion of "SVG buffers" is a pipe-dream
and, yeah, just kind of hard to get over the first
hump to achieve something minimally useful.  But
a boy can dream, can't he?

-t