Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:31:27 -0400

On Jul 21, 2009, at 04:19, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Most likely the history will come out different if you recreate the git
tree based on the bzr tree, but that's not a big problem.  If you
maintain any local changes on top of the old git tree just rebase them
on top of the new tree.

And if we're publishing (or planning to publish) git repositories with development work based on the Emacs one? Rebasing is strongly discouraged for public repositories. I'm not all that worried... sadly, this wouldn't be the first time VCS lossage has caused me to scrap the history of my little project and start again from my latest source tree. :-(

I'm not at all familiar with bzr or the conversion tools, but I wonder (somewhat idly) if it's possible to rebase within the savannah mirror or give it existing revisions as starting points and mirror only newer stuff on top of the old mirror... aside from needing to figure out what the mirroring scripts are keeping track of and adjust that data, it seems like basically the same work as you're suggesting anyone using git downstream should do for themselves. (More work, but not repeated across however many people with varying levels of expertise. On the other hand, if the mirror ever needed reconstructing from scratch, it might not be easily reproducible.)

Ken