Re: build broken: no defun org-float-time. Who's guilty, and what does

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: build broken: no defun org-float-time. Who's guilty, and what does he propose?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 06:20:01 +0300

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:39:32 -0400
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> > Files loaded by loadup.el are easily extracted by simple text
> > scanning, and the byte compiler itself indeed _is_ a prerequisite for
> > every other compilation.
>
> But if a minor comment change is made in the compiler source, must we
> recompile everything?

Yes, why not?

> We don't generally make .o files explicitly depend on the C
> compiler.

If a compiler can change the ABI, you must.

> > Btw, I don't understand what problem do you see with files preloaded
> > by loadup.  They should simply be all prerequisites of temacs, and
> > that's it, right?
>

> Well, "emacs", not "temacs" which is just linked from the C code, but
> also I was assuming we wouldn't make the emacs binary an explicit
> dependency for the .elc files

Not all of them, just those that are preloaded.  We already have that
dependency:

  emacs${EXEEXT}: temacs${EXEEXT} ${etc}DOC ${lisp} ${SOME_MACHINE_LISP}

> otherwise, someone downloading and
> building a release will have to recompile all the elisp code

I don't see why.  Please explain.

> On the other hand, we probably don't want to recompile
> everything because lisp/language/georgian.el changed.

No, we don't, but I don't see how would that happen.  You just need to
re-dump.