Re: Gnus and No Gnus

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Gnus and No Gnus
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:49:12 -0400

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> `with-no-warnings' with `progn' when compiling to dgnushack.el
> or whatever.  However, it disables people, who use XEmacs or
> Emacs 21 to develop Gnus, from loading .el files.  So, it is
> better to add it to every file which uses `with-no-warnings'.

Fine by me. It's only 2 or 3 files.

>  Using neither the complicated things nor `with-no-warnings' makes
> it simple, if we don't mind warnings when bootstrapping Emacs.

Please install whatever version you prefer, regardless of warnings.
Personally, I would just expand the define-obsolete-function-alias
macro (for Emacs 21), and leave the featurep test, since: i) it's
totally correct today; ii) it seems unlikely XEmacs will ever add
float-time; iii) even if it does, it does zero harm if Gnus keeps
using time-to-seconds there; and iv) since Gnus will want to support
older versions of XEmacs, you wont be able to remove time-to-seconds
for many years anyway.