Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:26:30 +0900

>> Since Snow Leopard is out of cage, I am wondering if YAMAMOTO-san
>> intend to add mac port into Emacs trunk. I personally hope this can
>> happen.

> I think it is a it late for it now.  When the Carbon port lost its
> maintainer and nobody was interested to port it to emacs-unicode, it
> might have been a good option, but at that time Yamamoto-san didn't
> seen too sure what he intended to do with his AppKit port,

I said:

  For Emacs 23, I don't have a plan to develop the Carbon port.
  The Carbon+AppKit port may be for my personal use only (I already
  have the Core Text font backend driver for Leopard, and I can
  ignore multi-tty for my own use), unless the Cocoa/GNUstep port
  fails to become good enough.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00419.html

and

  As I've been saying, if the Cocoa/GNUstep port becomes good enough, we
  don't have to do anything about the Carbon(+AppKit) port of Emacs 23.
  Maybe the maintainers can put some time schedule to judge if the
  Cocoa/GNUstep port is good enough for the official Emacs 23?

  I may develop the Carbon+AppKit port of Emacs 23 for my private use or
  just for fun.  But the quality and efforts required for the official
  distribution are quite different from those for the private use.  For
  the latter, I can limit the OS version to the latest one, and I can
  omit the features that I don't use.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-05/msg00208.html

I made it public because I thought the NS port was not good enough for
me as of the official release.

> so we ended up having to drop the Carbon code, at which point the
> Emacs.app code started to look like a good solution.

You thought that by examining the code, or because it was on Cocoa and
GNUstep?

I think dropping GUI implementation with Carbon, which is not
compatible with 64-bit, in the early stage of Emacs 23 development was
a right decision, as we can see in what happened at the Snow Leopard
release.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden