Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 02:48:53 +0100

> Óscar Fuentes writes:
>
>  > I know some of you are pushing hard for introducing complete and correct
>  > dVCS practices among the Emacs developers.
>
> What you are recommending is very easy for the individual developer
> but makes for a messy history.  CVS *forces* you to either crap all
> over the history, or to refrain from committing until the patch is
> perfect.

The approach *suggested* (not *recommended*) on that page, makes things
worse than the current CVS practice?

> dVCS gives you an alternative: commit frequently until done,
> *then* push.

> Please insert a big warning to explain that developers who choose this
> workflow are making an antisocial choice of their own convenience
> over more informative logs for the project.

Fist of all, I shall note that what the page says is not intended to be
a permanent practice (although it works fine for quick fixes and small
changes). The page may be removed after a few months, once Emacs raises
and official policy for committing to the master branch.

So, if that practice does not turn things worse than now are wrt the VC
history, does it make sense to scare people away with words like
"antisocial"? If this is the case, I'll delete the page altogether. I
don't want to promote antisocial behavior on the emacs developers.

OTOH, have you considered the scenario consisting on people pushing
changes into the master branch without fully understanding how they
impact the history? I'm thinking on throwaway commits inadvertently
pushed, etc. This will be a transient effect, but so is the approach
described on the wiki page I wrote.

--
Óscar