Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 05:38:43 +0100

>     http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
>
> It is nice and simple.  I have one critique.  Someone said that the
> term "checkout" for bound branches is deprecated.  It might be a good
> idea to use the preferred term instead, and perhaps use a different,
> not-to-be-deprecated command as well.

I thought about this at the beginning and decided to do that way because
the document either uses undefined concepts known by CVS users or
defines the concepts that are new to them, as it does for the shared
repository.

Replacing

bzr checkout URL

with

bzr branch URL
bzr bind

will force me to explain what a Bazaar branch is and why it can be bound
or unbound, and thus would introduce us into the field of multiple
workflows, which is precisely what the document tries to avoid.

I don't see the `checkout' command deprecated or with its current
semantics changed anytime soon. This is a big change that would merit a
dot-zero version, and AFAIK that's not expected for a long time.

The terms are correct as per the "intended future" meaning, as we are
indeed creating a "bound branch" (which is absolutely orthodox). Using
the expression "heavyweight checkout" (or simply "checkout") is right
too, as any Bazaar user will recognize its meaning for a long time, and
even the term is profusely used on the documentation of the upcoming 2.1
version.

--
Óscar