Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:40:23 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Yes, it's slow.  "bzr annotate" in a lightweight checkout takes almost
>>> 3 minutes here.  What's worse, it seems to send the entire annotated
>>> source downstream in one big chunk, whereas CVS seemed to send it in
>>
>> Remember that the network protocol used is sftp, so the remote
>> repository is "dumb" and cannot perform any operation such as
>> "annotate".  So when you do an "annotate", nothing is sent upstream
>> other than commands to fetch files that contain the relevant parts of
>> history, and then the annotate operation is performed locally.
>
> I'm hoping we can change that soon, with bzr+ssh access.  See
> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077 for details.

Certainly, we don't want to to use the savannah server for `annotate'
nor for other VC operations that can be performed locally.

If some people start using lightweight checkouts, a few simultaneous
`log' and `annotate' can bring the server's CPU to its knees. I'll vote
for disabling those operations on the server, if possible.

BTW, how well does concurrency the smart server? It blocks writes when a
read operation is performed?

[snip]

--
Óscar