Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:19:16 -0500

>> > How should it work? We don't have any nice generic mechanism/UI for
>> > doing VC backend specific things in the commit buffer.
>> It's a general concept, although it's not supported by all backends.
> The general concept is that backends want to do backend specific things :-)

That's another part.  But for "author", I think we should support it in
the generic part of the VC code.  After all, it's a concept we've been
using in ChangeLog for ages: the fact that only recent VCS support it is
no excuse ;-)

> This would be helpful, but not enough, we also want to have some key
> bindings, menu entries for backend specific things.

> So how about starting by replacing the call to `log-edit' in
> `vc-log-edit' with (vc-call-backend backend 'log-edit)

> and then each backend that so desires can implement a mode derived from
> log-edit and do whatever it wants (like we do for log-view).

Fine by me.  But please remember that whenever possible and meaningful,
it's better to add features to vc.el than to particular backends.

        Stefan