Re: Next pretest, and branching plans

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next pretest, and branching plans
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:51:27 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:52:50 -0800
>
> Perhaps more importantly, there will be fewer (far fewer, IMO) new bug reports
> from Windows users for the latest code. Instead of a pretest, you will, in
> effect, just wait until after the release to get such bug reports. The purpose
> of the pretest will thus be defeated, except for those Windows pretesters who
> are willing to build Emacs.

It's not clear what statistics you have to back this up.  I know for a
fact that several users of the Windows port build Emacs themselves;
what percentage that is of the overall number of people who use the
pretest on Windows should be a subject of survey, not guesswork.

FWIW, tools for such a build are readily available, and help for
setting them up is offered here.  So I could never understand why
people who want to contribute refuse to install the necessary
development environment.  It's not that setting up such a development
environment is hard or needs many hours.