Re: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:42:42 -0500

On 03/01/2010 04:27 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Questions are:
1) is anybody already doing such a sync?
2) if not, from which date should I start synchronizing changes?

I'm not fully aware of which extra changes are required for the synchronization
(except for the long name ->  subdirectory fix), so directions will be much
appreciated.

I planned to do a sync after the Emacs 23.2 release branch is made, but
you are welcome to do it if you like.

I really don't like that smell.  We need to make sure the two code-bases
evolve in-sync, which won't work as long as we keep "gratuitous"
differences between the two (file names and things like that).

I thought Eric was to incorporate most/all of the changes we made into
his version.  If this doesn't take place real soon, it'll become much
too painful to maintain.

Indeed, that is my plan. I fear the big merge will make it harder to support older Emacsen and XEmacs, so I wanted to get some sort of stable release out that can finalize that style of CEDET. It's just been slow. Since I don't have a feature freeze or anything, CEDET keeps getting a little better over time, almost without me, while I've been getting test suites up and running against various Emacs flavors.

My hope is that this last release I did shows few build/compatibility problems and I can easily just post the last release on CVS, then move on. Last year issues and patches kept coming for a couple months. It's been much slower this time around.

Eric