Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:56:26 +0100

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> xterm is not a "GUI application" in any but the most pedantic minds.
>>
>> Neither is Emacs.  Both are focused about plain text input.
>
> Indeed. But its X interface is still on a desktop next to other X
> apps. The huge majority of whose scroll bars are on the right.

To be honest: there are not many X apps next to Emacs on my desktop
since it is my main interface to the computer.

> It seems almost a strange argument to be having.
>
> And emacs is a scrollable UI - its an editor after all. Yes, you can
> scroll xterm and urvt etc I know, but its not the same thing at all.

Hm?  Why not?

> The X interface to Emacs should comply with the huge majority of
> neighbouring apps. And thats the scroll bar on the right.

The X interface to Emacs should first of all be focused on usability.
Putting the scrollbars on the left has not been an arbitrary choice.

When other applications make inferior user interface choices, we need
not follow them.  Emacs will never be the same as other applications,
and that is not a goal in itself.  Emacs should be as good as it can be
for doing work with it.  If that means being different, that is fine.

> All IMO of course ;) But clearly also in the minds of other X authors.

The important people are not the authors but the serious users.

--
David Kastrup