Re: Customize UI

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customize UI
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:32:15 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> This is only reasonable if the list of sub-groups is sufficiently small
>> that they don't push the actual options off the screen.  I don't know
>> the degree to which this is possible in typical customize groups.
>
> The same problem exists now when a large list of options pushes links to
> sub-groups off the screen.  This can be resolved by creating a sub-group
> and moving such options to the new sub-group, so only links to sub-groups
> will remain in the group.

Ergh, that sounds _extremely_ annoying...

Note, I'm not saying groups first is _bad_ per-se, just that it has to
be done carefully.  [Sadly, many GUI file browsers seem to do it very
badly... :( ]

For instance, the way "C-h m" presents the list of minor modes, with a
fairly compressed list of obvious links that precedes the major-mode
info, so it all fits on a few lines, seems pretty good.

-Miles

--
Innards, n. pl. The stomach, heart, soul, and other bowels.