Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:46:47 +0000

Hi, James,

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 03:21:05PM -0400, James Cloos wrote:

> AM> I think we'd agree, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the scroll
> AM> bar position to be an option.

> Yes, we (all, I'm sure) fully agree on that point.

> Incidently, according to info the scroll bar position is not
> configurable via X Resources, only its width is.

> That should be fixed as well.  Anytime frame parameters such
> as that are changed after the frame is first mapped, users are
> subjected to annoyances like flashing and sometimes even bugs.
> Similar examples of features better disabled by resources than
> by the init file -- and which already can be -- are the toolbar
> and the menubar.

This is only partly true - these features can only by {en,dis}abled by
resources on platforms which have them.  This doesn't include, e.g., the
Linux tty.  Although this tty doesn't implement a scroll bar, it can
display a menu bar.  (I'd love to find out if it can be used by a GPM
mouse; so far I've not managed to get it working.)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).