Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:31:16 -0600

On 4/2/2010 2:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
First, in the GNU project's terminology, ``a path'' is a list of
directories such as is found in PATH or in INFOPATH.  What you mean
here is ``a file name'', not a path.
Got it.
Second, you say ``files'', in plural, which begs a question: how to
specify more than one such DLL?  Do you use several --distfiles
options?
Good question. In this latest version of the patch I added support for multiple --distfiles arguments.

It would be nice if you said whether it's necessary to use forward
slashes here.
Actually, I don't need to use forward slashes for distfiles. I updated this. I had an issue with compiler flags though, where I want to say I needed to specify them with forward slashes. I have to look into that some more.

Also, since the files are copied to the `bin'
directory, perhaps you should tell explicitly that this option is for
DLLs that are not built as part of Emacs, e.g. image libraries.  Your
current description sounds like the option is more general, which it
really isn't.
I updated this part in INSTALL.

Find v4 of the patch attached.

Major changes:
- configure.bat takes multiple --distfiles arguments for packaging more than one library in the binary distribution - configure.bat verifies that all specified distfiles exist and warns if they don't
- updated INSTALL documentation

BTW, Eli, thanks for taking the time to review this with such attention to detail. I appreciate it.

Christoph