Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 16:59:16 +0200

>> Having `set-window-configuration' "kill the window if the buffer died"
>> is not entirely trivial though.
>
> What kind of problems did you encounter (other than the one below)?

A minor technical annoyance - I have to construct a list of windows to
delete because I cannot delete a window before restoration is complete.
And obviously I have to assign some buffer during restoration just to
handle the case where the deletion fails for whatever reason.

>> What shall we do when the last window has a deleted buffer?
>> Kill the frame?
>
> That could make sense, yes, since that's what would happen if the
> deletion had taken place while the frame was displayed.  But we could
> also fallback to the current behavior in that corner case, since
> I'd assume it to be rare anyway (i.e. not worth spending too much time,
> at least for now).

We'd still have to solve the problem where a frame is the last frame
anyway.  But we haven't yet decided what to do with non-dedicated
windows that lose their buffers.  Solving that more general problem
should solve this corner case too.

martin