Re: Window configurations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:17:19 -0400

>>> Having `set-window-configuration' "kill the window if the buffer died"
>>> is not entirely trivial though.
>> What kind of problems did you encounter (other than the one below)?
> A minor technical annoyance - I have to construct a list of windows to
> delete because I cannot delete a window before restoration is complete.
> And obviously I have to assign some buffer during restoration just to
> handle the case where the deletion fails for whatever reason.

I think it's OK.  If you can provide a patch for it, please submit (or
install) it.

> We'd still have to solve the problem where a frame is the last frame
> anyway.  But we haven't yet decided what to do with non-dedicated
> windows that lose their buffers.  Solving that more general problem
> should solve this corner case too.

The desired behavior for (non-sole) dedicated windows is pretty clear,
so we can install a fix for it right away.

For the remaining cases, it's much less clear what would be the "right"
behavior (it seems to depend on the intention behind the save&restore of
the window-config, so it should probably be handled at some other
level).

        Stefan