Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:19:12 -0400

> Since we opened that can of worms already by making C-f/C-b do logical
> motion as opposed to the arrow keys doing visual motion,

Actually, the arrow keys don't do "visual motion".  They just use
logical motion like C-f/C-b except that they switch direction depending
on the current paragraph's default direction (i.e. right-arrow will
still move left when in an R2L piece of text within an L2R paragraph, as
can be seen in the arabic text in the HELLO file).

> I should think it would make sense to disconnect C-n/C-p from the
> vertical arrow keys as well and move them in a non-display-related
> manner in the "keep the same C-f distance from the last LF" sense.
> I have no good answer what to do about tabs, but I am likely in a lot
> of company there.  Anyway: likely the same with "C-a" "C-e" for
> logical movement as contrasted to <home> and <end> for
> visual movement.

I have no intention to make any such change for now.

        Stefan