Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:19:39 -0400

> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Davis Herring" <address@hidden>
> Cc: David Kastrup <address@hidden>, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> That's just the point.  <right>, as it stands, is only aware of the
> direction of the paragraph, not of the text, so it moves forward in
> logical order in an L2R paragraph even when that means moving leftward on
> the screen.

Correct.

> Eli, I believe, is proposing changing things so that
> <right>/etc. move visually in all cases (while C-f/etc. would still
> move logically in all cases).

No, I was not suggesting anything of this kind.  In fact, whatever I
want the left/right arrow keys to do in the bidirectional case is
already in the repository, and works as you describe above, i.e. it is
sensitive to the paragraph direction.

Personally, I don't see much use to a mode where the arrows move
independently of the logical (i.e. reading) order of the text.