Re: Frame ordering

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Frame ordering
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:24:24 +0200

> At least Cocoa AppKit selects the foremost one just as we expect,
> without the necessity of specifying the window that shall be shown.
> That's the behavior of Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac
> port.  As far as I tested, many X11 window managers also behave like
> this.  Only the NS port doesn't for some reason.

It would be interesting to know whether the NS port "buries" the
foremost Emacs window at the time it selects another one (or creates a
new one).  That is, if you have at least four Emacs frames and delete
them one by one, how does the other frame shown relate to the order in
which frames were created or changed their position in the Z-order.

Also, in delete_frame we have to select another frame in case the deleted
frame is the selected one.  Next comes:

#ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
      else
        /* Under NS, there is no system mechanism for choosing a new
           window to get focus -- it is left to application code.
           So the portion of THIS application interfacing with NS
           needs to know about it.  We call Fraise_frame, but the
           purpose is really to transfer focus.  */
        Fraise_frame (frame1);
#endif

before we do switch frames.  Is this related to the issue at hand?

martin